Tuesday, October 11, 2005

black sheep band

The past week has wrought forth lots of sadness in my life and I found myself driving around in my car quite a bit. Driving home, going to a funeral, getting lost, finding myself. One of the soundtracks for my journey was Austin's Okkervil River and their brand new EP, the Black Sheep Boy Appendix.

Picking up on the imagery and sound of the critically acclaimed predecessor, this mini album weaves sad strings in and out of toybox odes and country-fried dirges. Frontman Will Sheff spits an honest tale that gets bigger and broader with every release.

No Key, No Plan is a drunken Pogues USA stomp of a houseparty with the Decemberists, Neutral Milk Hotel and the younger, cooler brother of Bono in attendence.

Another Radio Song builds and builds an intensity, from a conversation to an argument to a screaming match til all the possessions are cast about the room and the whole house is on fire, the protaganist left walking away once and for all down the highway.

Okkervil River - No Key, No Plan

3 Comments:

At 2:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry. Hope you're feeling better.

 
At 11:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am adoring Another Radio Song. Thank you so much for your haunting melodies.

 
At 7:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was "google-ing" for the band name black sheep.. goz i want to call my band black sheep..
I see. I'm to late..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home