Wednesday, December 01, 2004

colourbox world cup theme

Last week, grapejuiceplus beat me to the punch with his wonderful little Colourbox post. But hey, this isn't a race, this is an education er somethin. So here is MORE Colourbox, because I know all you huge Colourbox fans out there are just chomping at the bit for more, More, MORE!!! errmm... yeah. here are 2 tracks off two different EPs. Colourbox later teamed with AR Kane to make the #1 hit Pump Up the Volume under the moniker M/A/R/R/S. Think of this as a precursor to my week long celebration of MARRS where we will dissect all of the samples that I can find in full form!

Visit the awesome eyesore 4AD database for all your 4AD needs.

One of the legendary 4AD label's earliest and most under-recognized acts, Colourbox was among the first artists outside of the realm of hip-hop to rely heavily on sampling techniques; ultimately, their arty blue-eyed soul -- a fusion of far-ranging influences spanning from classic R&B to dub to industrial -- reached its commerical and creative apotheosis through their work on M/A/R/R/S' seminal "Pump Up the Volume" project, a reflection of the group's long-standing interest in the burgeoning underground dance music scene of the 1980s.

Colourbox was primarily the work of London-based brothers Martyn and Steven Young, who recruited vocalist Debian Curry to sing on their 1982 4AD debut "Breakdown"; Curry was replaced by Lorita Grahame in time for the trio's 1983 re-recording of the same track, this time produced by Mick Glossop. Colourbox's self-titled debut EP -- a collection of dub and scratching experiments heralding their first plunge into sampling technology, edited down from three hours of studio sessions -- appeared later that same year, with the single "Say You" following in 1984. After another 12-inch, "Punch," the group issued 1985's "The Moon Is Blue," a teaser for their upcoming full-length LP, also a self-titled affair; "Baby I Love You So" and "The Official Colourbox World Cup Theme" both appeared the following year.

In 1987, at the behest of 4AD chief Ivo Watts-Russell, the Young brothers teamed with labelmates AR Kane as M/A/R/R/S to record a single fusing the rhythms and beats from classic soul recordings with state-of-the-art electronics and production. Complete with scratches by champion mixer Chris "C.J." Mackintosh and London DJ Dave Dorrell, "Pump Up the Volume" -- a breakthrough effort heralding sampling's gradual absorption from hip hop into dance music and ultimately the pop mainstream -- soon topped the British charts, the first 4AD release to accomplish the feat. Plans for a follow-up never materialized, however; stranger still, despite M/A/R/R/S' success both the Youngs and Colourbox seemed to vanish, with no future recordings forthcoming. - AMG


Colourbox - Nation
Colourbox - Baby, I Love You So

9 Comments:

At 12:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow! first chapterhouse, now colourbox! you rock.
what's next? wolfgang press? moose? swallow? breathless?
best. blog. ever.
-shane

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger heath said...

shane- I could easily do all of those, and they are taken into consideration. thanks for the kind words. I have considered changing the "theme" to 4AD, its offshoots, creation, toopure, and such labels. that could be fun. but I kinda prefer the random nature of the posts, too. keep readin... !

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger guanoboy said...

Great post, Heath....Can't wait for the MARRS week...and don't you dare post Wolfgang Press...I've been sitting on that one... :)

Keep it up!

darren

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger guanoboy said...

I'm just kidding, I hope you know...

:|

darren

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger heath said...

aww mang I love the Wolfies! how about if I make the post from the early WP stuff that hasn't been issued on CD ever? or even better yet, the pre-WP stuff!

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger guanoboy said...

RemaRema would be great...i've got that ep...what do you have that hasn't been released by wolfgang press? Now you've piqued my curiosity...

I've got their first album (standing up straight) and the legendary wolfgang press on CD, was their anything before that that I'm not aware of?

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger guanoboy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger guanoboy said...

I totally spaced on the Burden of Mules album...you are right...

And Big Sex...that was a great little ep/12" thingy...

I haven't heard that in well, ages...

ohhhhhh....I'm getting old...

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger heath said...

yea Burden of Mules hasnt been reissued yet. I hear there is rumor of it being reissued though. along w/ Mass, which is pre-WP. Rema Rema I drop when I DJ death-diskos. thats so bloggable right now. good idea. dammit when am I going to find time to do my week of nothing but jug bands now!?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home